10/14/10: Way to shame me into updating again by commenting, people who comment! (Seriously, though, hi, welcome, and pull up one of the splintery old orange crates that we use for seating 'round these parts seein' as we can't afford no fancy chairs.)

The rules from
here still apply.

Thursday, January 18, 2007

Suitcases


Arnie pulled distractedly at one of the straps on his suitcase. "No, no, they said when I took the Greyhound to visit my son that my suitcases were just fine. I only brought the one bag, after all, and the rules say I can have two, so I'm well under my limit." He adjusted his glasses, looking up at the skycap. "I made sure to read up on that. I know my rights."

The skycap, a young man whose nametag identified him as CHARLES, blinked a few times. "Yes, airline regulations state you can have two bags checked as long as they fit the size requirements. Only, I'm afraid I simply can't check this bag for you."

"It's not oversize," Arnie replied, frowning. "I checked. I was very careful to bring my smaller suitcase, because I know it's not oversize." CHARLES looked as though he was about to say something, but Arnie soldiered on. "I'm going to see my daughter and her husband and my granddaughters in Milwaukee. I brought presents for the girls because I haven't seen them in two years. It's very important that I get my bag checked so the girls get their presents."

CHARLES nodded. "Yes, sir, I'm sure it is. And I'm very sorry, but your suitcase cannot be checked onto the plane."

"But the Greyhound people said it was all right when I visited my son." Seeing that he was not getting the desired results, Arnie fell back on an earlier point. "It isn't too big to be checked. I know my rights."

The muscles in CHARLES's jaw twitched. "Sir, I'm afraid that we may have different rules for baggage than Greyhound does. For one thing, all suitcases must properly close."

"It is closed!"

"Only because you have it tied together with rope," CHARLES answered.

No comments: