10/14/10: Way to shame me into updating again by commenting, people who comment! (Seriously, though, hi, welcome, and pull up one of the splintery old orange crates that we use for seating 'round these parts seein' as we can't afford no fancy chairs.)

The rules from
here still apply.

Saturday, October 28, 2006

Empty Nest


They ate in silence for a while, the only real sound the clinking of their forks on their plates. Finally Myra looked up. "It was so nice to have Billy visit us today," she began tentatively.

"Nice," Fred echoed. "It's always nice when any of the kids visit."

"Yes," Myra answered, nodding vigorously. They were both silent again, until she added, "A pity he couldn't stay for dinner, though."

Fred shrugged. "He's a busy man, Myra. I mean, between his work and his wife and children..."

"Oh, I know, I know," Myra replied quickly. "I wouldn't want to impose on him, after all."

"Mmm."

"But..."

Fred sighed. "Our children are grown up now, dear," he said quietly, not for the first time. "They just don't have time for us anymore."

"Mmm." She sighed as well, then set down her fork. "I suppose it will be leftovers again for dinner tomorrow night."

No comments: